[Beta 1.0, Build 192] - 2023-04-09
- All new “List” and “Table” fields, along with a selection of formulas to filter them, sort them, reverse them, and perform numeric calculations. Ruben is working on some templates which show case them – stay tuned.
- The default formula syntax is using
name(para1, para2, ...)rather than
para1.name(para2, ...)as this is more robust at this stage.
- Tweaks UI for adding a new field
- Fix “Open Folder” action not adding folder as external source (long tap the ‘+’ icon on the main screen on iOS)
- Fixes crash when adding an external folder that was previously added as a subfolder
- Fix subfolders not being displayed for external folders
- Add missing “Close” action on external folders and allow deleting content in external folders, too
[Beta 1.0, Build 188] - 2023-03-26
- Paid features are now marked as such on iOS
- Better integration with Files app (iOS) and Finder (macOS) as Maparoni will now provide QuickLook previews and generate thumbnails of its files.
- Various improvements to Share Extension on iOS
- Importing GPX now supports GPX Routes
- New formulas:
reverse(String) -> String,
join(List, String) -> String,
reverse(List) -> List,
sort(List) -> List
- Errors in formulas that only impact some locations will now be shown
- Fixes tapping on location in widget, which didn’t zoom the map to that location
- Fixes add button in current location callout not working
- Fixes missing “Back” button when opening a Maparoni collection through Files app on iOS
- Fixes missing “Create” button when creating from API or importing file on iOS
- Fixes opening mapar.one/g/ links
- Fixes style of “Add to Collection” picker on iPad
- Fixes crash when trying to import and press “Done” on iPad
- When applying a filter, the search within the collection now searches all locations, not just those that pass the currently applied filter
- Don’t show “Delete Field” when creating a new field; show ‘Cancel’ instead
- Don’t reset import formating configuration when manually fetching contents of a GeoFeed
[Beta 1.0, Build 182] - 2023-03-11
- Major update to the widgets, including a new “Map + List” widget for showing just the top one or two locations/routes from a collection. Widgets should also be more reliable, faster, and prettier.
- New “Recent” smart collection
- New “multi-line” setting for text fields
.fillColorformulas to better control colours separately.
- Re-instate “Export…” document action on iOS
- Improved preset menu iOS, with more formula suggestions, and option to mark the current view as a default (or remove it as the default)
- Improved file import on iOS, which now asks whether to add to existing collection or create a new one
- Improved handling of mapar.one deep-links when opening published collections
- Fixes issue with selection not being consistent between the map, list, and locationd details
- Many style updates
- Many, many more performance, reliability and bug fixes
[Beta 1.0, Build 167] - 2022-01-20
- Tinker Mode: Recognising that we’re a team of two and this is a powerful app, we’ve decided to focus on the core feature set that we want to polish and focus on for the initial release. Other features are still available, but you need to enable “Tinker Mode” in settings, to get them. Once we’ve polished those, they’ll go into the core feature set.
- Adds preset picker to the toolbar on macOS (Ventura only)
- New option to paste image when adding image to a location
- Hidden fields now show up under a “Hidden Fields” heading in the location details.
- Rename “Add Folder” to “Add Subfolder” when viewing contents of a folder
- Remove “Add Folder” option from “All X” smart collection as that view does not show folders.
- Restore old-school location search on iOS as the one in the navigation bar was glitchy at times.
- Location picker now uses card-style on iOS, too.
- Hide navigation bar while viewing locations details on iOS.
- Don’t use a plain “x” icon to indicate errors, as that looks like a button. Now uses an x in a stop-sign.
- Restructed sidebar on macOS/iPad and folder view on iPhone
- Various small style tweaks, particularly on iOS
- Fixes “Follow” button on iOS when browsing collections from the gallery that have a long name.
- Fixes some computed fields not showing their values in location details
- Fixes “Open” link in Smart App Banner from https://mapar.one share link
- Fixes https://mapar.one share links not opening the right collection if you previously opened another link.
- Fixes collection selection persisting in grid even when navigating back to grid.
- Fixes removing collections from your list that someone shared with you through iCloud Drive.
- Fixes crash on iOS when duplicating a collection
[Beta 1.0, Build 161] - 2022-11-20
Fixes and tweaks:
- Add “Acknowledgements” to about box on macOS
- Hide “collections” title in folders list if there are only collections
- Tweak appearance of circles in widget and mini maps
- Fix missing “<” on iPad after stage restoration of a collection
- Fix opening collection when tapping a home screen widget
- Fix appearance from GeoSubs not applied in widget or mini maps
- Fix where opening a collection from widget would treat it as a preview
- Fix wrongly-coloured snapshot set after switching apps
- Fix folder selection going out-of-sync when navigating into a subfolder
- Fix “Check for Updates” being greyed out when viewing collections on macOS
- Good ol’ performance improvements
[Beta 1.0, Build 160] - 2022-11-16
- Re-added functionality to view multiple collections together on macOS
- Many tweaks and improvements to folder and collection management, such as adding subfolder to the main view, Drag & Drop support, and keyboard navigation.
- Mini map in widget and collection view can now include current location
- Add capture date to photo attachments, accessible through new
- Adds an (somewhat ugly) “Cancel” button to formula editor
- Re-importing now has new option to append content (rather than only replace it)
- Geo coordinate information in location details is now selectable
- When duplicating a document, remove publish.json and assign new ID
- Fix missing display mode button when popping back on iPad
- Fix issue where “Feed” inspector/tab might be missing for feed collections
[Beta 1.0, Build 159] - 2022-10-25
- Browsing your collections shows them as pretty mini maps. They update automatically – including when they get their content from the Internet.
- Add these mini maps as widgets to your Home Screen on iOS or Notification Center on macOS.
- On macOS browsing your collections and the gallery now happens in a separate window then viewing a collection. This provides a much cleaner view while working on an individual collection.
- No more tabs on iOS.
- The functionality to view multiple collections together has been removed temporarily, and we plan to re-instate this in a future beta.
- You can now overwrite the titles for all locations via the “Organise” feature, too, not just adding a subtitle.
- The preview when creating a new collection from an API, server call, or by importing files now shows a map snapshot – you can still access the raw GeoJSON but it’s not the only thing anymore to preview
- Moving a collection to a different folder is now all handled within the context menu when right-clicking/long-tapping a collection
- Customise the stroke width of lines using the new
.stroke(Color, width: Number)formula
- Adds context action to clear fields of type date or time
- Adds a “ConvexHull” export option
- Adds a reimport feature for collections that were created from importing and optionally transforming a file, to replace the locations of a collection while keeping the import settings, fields and presets.
- Fixes issue where you can’t click on map entries anymore after renaming it
- Fixes issue where parts of the location titles were cut off when you resized the window or width of that panel
- Some polish for the “Presets” screen on iOS
- Various UI fixes for macOS Ventura
[Beta 1.0, Build 158] - 2022-09-23
- Import more: You can now also import CSV, JSON, or XML where the locations are provided as a city names, country names, or country codes. Cities will be looked up in a GeoNames database, with support for fuzzy lookup, too.
- macOS: You can now directly go to the “New Collection” screen also when no window is currently open
- macOS: Double click the “Unsaved” preset to give it a name and save it
- macOS: Click the mini formula icons once to switch to that preset; then double click them to edit the underlying formula
- Clicking a collection that’s not yet downloaded will start the download, indicating the status in the list. Click again to cancel the download.
- As some imports can be slow, you can now cancel them.
- Fixed iCloud status of collections not loading if you have many collections, and made showing that status much faster
- Performance improvements, in particular for importing large files or when displaying thousands of polygons on the map
- Fix searching by coordinate in D/M/S format when seconds have single digits
- When using the experimental
control*formula, providing an ID and re-using that across multiple formulas, a single control is shown in the UI
- Fix “Take Photo” button sometimes not saving photos to the collection
- Formula editor: Don’t add closing pairs for brackets or quote marks while being in the middle of a formula
- Formula editor: Dismiss the editor by pressing command + Enter (on macOS)
- Fixed formula autocompletion sometimes inserting an extra period
- Improved some formula error messages
- Minor UI tweaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 157] - 2022-09-05
- Our beginner’s user guide has been updated. Check it out. It’s now also searchable through the Map app’s help menu
- Super-charge your presets with the experimental interactive controls. Opt-in through settings, then use
controlRangein your formulas; play with the controls in the UI; and see live changes.
- If someone shares a published collection with you through the Messages app, it will appear automatically in a new “Shared with You” section in the Gallery (on iOS)
- Adds suggested sort formulas based on the fields of your collection
- Added “Copy” & “Paste” commands on locations in your collection
- Some experimental features have been disabled by default and need to be enabled through settings (in-app on Mac, via Settings app on iOS)
- Formulas that depend on your current location can no longer be used in computed fields; and can only be used in formulas on your presets.
- The “Move” command on locations in your collection has been removed
Many bug fixes:
- When you use the
photo/1formula to show photo thumbnails on the map, they will now also appear in the list view, too.
- Improved keyboard navigation for the formula editor
- Improved formula editor and auto-completion on macOS
- Fixed issue when using a
switchformula without a
- Fixed selecting ad-hoc preset not working on macOS
- Fixed duplicated fields not being saved on macOS
- Fixed insta-formulas not appearing until switching preset on iOS
- Fixed “Share” button after publishing a collection on iOS
- Performance improvements, in particular when working with large GeoJSON files
[Beta 1.0, Build 155] - 2022-08-25
- Context actions to duplicate collections, fields and presets
- “Attachments” field can now deal with any file attachments rather than just photos
- Context menu on filters, grouping and appearance includes suggestions for appropriate fields
- Renamed “Style” to “Appearance”
- Style and UX adjustments for collection and location cards on iPhone
- Location details now have an (x) in the top right on iPhone, the back button in the top left will now always dismiss the viewed collection (!)
- Allow double clicking templates on macOS to select them
- Share Extension no longer tries to open GeoJSON or Maparoni files, so that Maparoni itself can open them instead
- Maparoni now just opens GeoJSON rather than trying to import it
- Adding a preset from the preset inspector now saves currently applied filter, grouping, etc. rather than clearing it
- Improved file format detection when importing external files
- Fixes for search and sharing on macOS when having multiple windows open
- Fix dropping pins on macOS
- Fix opening a GeoFeed that uses a “BoundingBox” transformation
- Don’t allow renaming a collection to an empty string
- Performance improvements and minor tweaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 154] - 2022-08-09
- New built-in “Photos” field or create your own custom “Attachments” fields
- Add photos from your photo library, take a photo, pick from your files or add from a URL
- Use the new
photo(..)formula for your map style to show them on the map
- Drag and drop support for photos
- Parses GPS information from photos to place photos where they were taken
Maparoni for iOS now requires iOS 16, and gets:
- iPad uses card-style for collection for full-screen map support
- Desktop-class on iPad
- Title menu for collections, and locations on iPhone
- Editor-style toolbar, which now includes the “Organise” button
- Inline search bar
- Add “My Location” to iPhone’s add menu
- Consistent map selection behaviour for annotations, overlays and map features
- Removes support for dropping URLs and text on the map
- Removes pencil button on iOS from map, now in navigation bar (only)
- Auto-remove search result when deselecting search result
- Prettier “Follow” (formerly “Add”)
- Fixes publish info not always saved to file
- Minor style tweaks of location details
- Fixed some memory leaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 152] - 2022-07-16
New features for iOS 16 and macOS 13:
- Added ability to select locations that are part of the map and not yet part of the collection, for quickly adding them.
- “Standard” map style now uses Apple Maps’ new style
- Simplified flow for sharing collections with collaboration options right in the share sheet
- Big style update to the New Collection Wizard on macOS, in particular for feed collections that get their data from URLs
- Added big “Follow” button to collections from the Gallery to inspector pane on macOS
- Fix New Collection Wizard not creating new collections. (This was due to left-over debugging code. Sorry.)
- Search on Mac now clears what you’ve typed when selecting a result
- Search on Mac now longer replaced what you’ve typed when hovering over a result
- Search on Mac no longer pops up again when switching collections
- Don’t briefly show welcome screen on iOS when re-opening app
- Fixed various issues on Mac where menu items and toolbar items were greyed when interacting with the inspector pane
- Fixed collection list not reflecting selection when searching for a location that’s already in the collection
- Fixed gallery collections not displaying on iPhone
- Fixed all known crashers
- Fixed some memory leaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 151] - 2022-07-11
- Formulas: Allow calling
.fill/.stroke/.clusterdirectly on a geometry
- Formulas: Added
fixedCircle(..., center)variants that allow specifying a different center location rather than the one from the location.
- Views: When using a list for the styles and some of them evaluate to
nil, those are now ignored rather than being treated like an error.
nil-friendly, i.e., when using a JSON path that has a question mark in it.
geometryValuewill then return
nilrather than an error.
Position/2are all friendly to
nilvalues in the parameter list. If any parameter value is
nil, these will now return
nilrather than returning an error.
Polygon(...)can take a mix of positions and geometries
- Fixed auto-completion pop-over on Mac showing when moving cursor around. Now it’ll just show after typing non-whitespace or pressing Esc.
- Auto-completion pop-over now includes exact match, for quick access to documentation by pressing Escape
- Fix auto-completion in partial formulas that use a
- Fixes a crash when typing
function(value)()in the formula editor
- Fixes handling of viewing the formula of a preset and pressing “Done” without editing it
- Style tweak for the “empty state” view on iPhone
[Beta 1.0, Build 150] - 2022-07-01
All new “New Collection” wizard:
- Unified flow for adding new collection, with import and feeds on equal footing
- Request importer auto-expands next section
- Bump minimum versions to iOS 15 and macOS 12
- Move Community to dedicated tab on iPhone with in-app browser
- Remove support for dragging URLs onto list of collections
- Address empty state on iPhone, showing a short “Welcome” message
- “Feed” collections now also get a “New Field” button on locations
- Improved state restoration on iPhone
- Various styling and UX tweaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 149] - 2022-06-06
- Much improved syntax highlighting and editing for the formula editor, by adopting Runestone.
- Syntax highlighting is more robust, in particular when there are some errors or spreading formulas over multiple lines.
- Editing auto-inserts closing brackets or string quotes, and auto-indents
- Smoother state restoration on Mac and iPad
- Fix card not updating when adding a search result to the collection by pressing “Add” button, potentially resulting in duplicates
- Restore missing picker label on Mac
- Robustness fixes
- Fix very long CSV columns not fitting the pickers
[Beta 1.0, Build 146] - 2022-05-25
- Allow referencing data fields that have a dot in them, e.g.,
value("some\.name")to reference the field with the key
- Fixes regression where you couldn’t add or edit fields anymore
- Fixes fields marked as “title” not being named for the title of locations in Geo Feeds
- Fixes issue where pasting an identical field would end up with duplicated keys; keys are now de-duplicated by adding a number, when pasting if there’s already an existing field with that key
[Beta 1.0, Build 145] - 2022-05-22
- Search includes locations from within the collection
- Allow searching for Plus Codes
- Include “New…” option also during multi-location editing
- Show how many locations are selected during multi-selection
- Adjust state restoration to also restore whether file list and inspector was visible, and also the last used map position.
- Style tweaks for search results autocompletion on macOS
- Fix that ineligible search bar background colour on iPhone
- Fix collection staying visible after creating and deleting it
- Fix split-screen not working on iPad
- Fix GeoSub content disappearing on subsequent file change after initial load
- Fix paste action not being immediately enabled after copying a field (or preset)
- Handle failure when trying to open a collection that’s not downloaded while you’re offline
[Beta 1.0, Build 144] - 2022-05-12
- Maintain sorting of fields, where keys use underscores or camelCase
- Show default fields in fields editor, so you can hide them
- Show default fields in location details even if they don’t have a value yet
- Importer robustness: More reliably detect GeoJSON content
- Fix exporting while viewing multiple collections
- Fix exporting multi-polygons and multi-linestrings as encoded polylines
- Fix crash when using very large radii for circles on the map
- Fix showing colours of non-editable colour fields in details
- Fix where changes to subscriptions showed an “not modifiable” errors when they should be modifiable
- Tweak formatting of non-editable numbers fields
[Beta 1.0, Build 143] - 2022-04-27 - Darwin
- Indicate selection of routes and polygons on map
- macOS: Add status bar
- Move “Publish” inspector after “Presets”
- Always show “Website” widget, even if none set yet
- Various behavioural tweaks to managing presets, including allowing re-ordering, behaviour when deleting them, adding a “Make Default” context action
- iOS: Add “Export As” also to share sheet for locations
- Fix performance issues when viewing list of collections, being stuck at 100% CPU usage
- Improve performance of initial load of list of collections, particularly on iOS
- Fix issue where “Publish” inspector might mark a collection as not published even though it is
- Fix issue of routes not being saved correctly after removing some parts
- Hide emoji and colour pickers when location isn’t editable
- Robustness fixes for iCloud documents that are in a conflicted state
- iOS: Fix collection not re-opening after pressing back, then clicking the same one again
- iOS: More padding between emoji picker and colour picker to make the former easier to tap
- iOS: Save changes to title, emoji, notes and other text fields when pressing “Back” button before confirming by pressing “Done”
[Beta 1.0, Build 142] - 2022-03-26
A round of fixes:
- Important fix for collection changes not saving reliably
- Fixed some edits on location card on iOS not saving when navigating back before pressing “Done” or “Enter”
- Deselect location from map after navigating back form location card on iOS
- Workaround for list not calculating location height correctly
- Minor style tweaks
[Beta 1.0, Build 141] - 2022-03-23
- Share Extension improvements for iOS
- Accepts shared files, in particular GPX and GeoJSON files
- Also show nested collections, but exclude folders
- File management improvements by
- New context actions for adding new files/folders into a folder
- Fix dragging multiple collections into a folder
- Disable some Drag & Drop on Mac that were resulting in framework errors
- Maintain “Additional data” expansion also when toggling between locations
- Location editing fixes on iOS
- Resign first responder when pressing “Done”
- Make sure keyboard doesn’t cover the location card
- Use text area for editing plain text, too
- Add anonymised usage statistics, powered by TelemetryDeck
[Beta 1.0, Build 140] - 2022-03-13
Major new feature: Publishing
With a single click, you can now publish your collections to the web on https://mapar.one. Anyone with the link can then browse your collection – or add them to their Maparoni app or download it as GeoJSON. Details will follow shortly in a blog post. Stay tuned!
- New GeoJSON-friendly
Style(Geometry)to get a style from a geometry (for colouring)
- Formula enhancements
Color(Any)to get a random colour from anything
value(String): Anyto understand path expressions
- Style tweaks for inspectors
[Beta 1.0, Build 139] - 2022-02-25
- Tweak default zoom to be further out when selecting something in the list
- Fix crash when selecting an item that’s in multiple groups (happened when grouping by a multi-choice field)
- Fix crash when trying to use invalid GeoJSON transform (e.g., to Feature/FeatureCollection/GeometryCollection)
- Enable automatic daily updates by default (macOS only)
[Beta 1.0, Build 138] - 2022-02-23
Multi-item selection and editing (macOS)
- Location details have been moved from a pop-up to an inspector
- Add multi-location selection and editing (so far for checkboxes, ratings, single-choice and multi-choice fields)
- Allow moving multiple items at once (macOS only)
- Add “BoundingBox” option when exporting GeoJSON
transform(String)formula to turn lines into polygons, polygons into bounding boxes, etc.
- Remove “Show Organise Inspector” right-click on locations
- Move Fields inspector into Info (i.e., Document) inspector
- Remove item sharing on macOS (as exporting works better)
- Fix crash when clicking internal link in User Guide
- Moving items to a different collection is now more robust
- Restore ability to right-click for a menu without first selecting (macOS)
- Don’t show default value for colour/time/date fields when not selected, but rather have an “Set” button.
- Don’t allow editing title/colour/emoji of search results
[Beta 1.0, Build 137] - 2022-02-16
Export options (macOS only):
- Allow multi-item export (and deletion) by command-clicking
- Option to merge polygons
- Option to restructure GeoJSON
- Speed-up initial load
- Dismiss location pop-up when scrolling list
- Request/import editing: Disable fetch/parse buttons while in progress
- Pass on more “Undo” action names
- Various styling tweaks to the inspectors
- App updates can now be installed in-app, thanks to Sparkle
- Fix single choice looking like the first value is selected; add ‘None’ option, allow picking ‘None’, too.
- Fix re-ordering available values of a ‘Choice’ field on iOS
[Beta 1.0, Build 136] - 2022-01-05
The focus of this build is on the behaviour of the formula editor:
- Much improved behaviour for when the suggestions should show up, i.e., just in beginning, when typing a dot, or pressing Esc; and not as much when navigating the cursor or selection around.
- Does not show an empty suggestions window, unless you press Esc to specifically bring it up.
- Maintain previous selection in suggestions window when typing.
- Provide partial completions for each possible case of a switch for textual values or formula results.
- Provide partial completions not just for prefix but any sequential match, i.e., after a
.case("Hello World")if there’s a location with the title “Hello World”.
- Minor style tweaks, shrinking it to fit number of suggestions and applying tint colour to the selected row’s background.
Squashes a bunch or related bugs related to formulas:
- Fix to the
find/2formula on long strings, which
- Fix partial completions broken when there’s a range string (e.g.,
- Fix comparison of Strings to sub-strings, e.g.,
title == "A"
- Fix highlight after a closing bracket, e.g.,
- Fix highlight of range expression within a case, e.g.,
- Fix highlight of defaults keys such as
And a few more related bug fixes for presets and fields:
- Changing the formula for one part of a preset should keep it selected
- Fix not being able to add a field for an “additional data” key
- Fix available schemas missing formulas on GeoSubs
- Fix undo/redo when changing saved presets
Various further improvements:
- Rename “New Subscription” to “New from URL”
- KML importer now guesses KML namespace from the XML content
- Addresses a memory leak from the location pop-up on macOS
- Style tweaks, in particular for the “New from URL” view
And, lastly, this build is compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur again. Please report any issues that you find on Twitter, in the forum or on GitHub.
[Beta 1.0, Build 135] - 2021-12-01
- [New] Can now apply multiple styles to each item, by returning a list, e.g.,
[fixedCircle(5km), pin("")]would show a circle and a pin for each location.
- [New] Experimental(!) “Index as…” option on collections to index them using a given id. This can then be used for efficient look-up from other collections using the new
lookup(coordinate, 'index-id')formula. Note: This does not yet persist across restarts and only works for polygons.
- [New] Exporting an item of a collection on Mac now brings up save dialog
- [New] “Subscribe to URL…” button when creating a collection (#419)
- [New] Templates can now include instructions, e.g., see the “Trips” template.
- [Change] Add current location from a callout on the circle on the map, removing the dedicated “+” > “Current Location” option
- [Change] Updated and simplified the look of the screen that pops up when moving a location to another collection (or using the
add-*URL schemes) (#411)
- [Change] In-line editing of location details (#409)
- [Change] Exporting collections/views on Mac now works same as exporting entries (i.e., you select output format in the file picker, and have an option to simplify, too.)
- [Change] Add to collection immediately when pin dropping on map
- [Change] Don’t show route count when drawing or in location details; instead show aggregate length and area
- [Change] Scripting collections (i.e., those that point at a non HTTP-URL) now get better help in the locations list if there’s no content yet.
- [Fix] Various fixes for map animations, in particular for collections that mix polygons with pins.
- [Fix] Fixes issue when dropping file on app icon (#410)
- [Fix] Fixes issue where location details might stay visible when swiping to delete the location while its pop-up is visible
- [Fix] Fixes an issue where local files might be missing in the hierarchy
- [Fix] Pop-ups prompting for a name, now include a clear button
- [Fix] Pressing ‘Done’ after having entered an invalid formula no longer deletes it.
- [Fix] Sort subfolders same as root (i.e., folders first)
- [Fix] Performance improvement by doing fewer reloads of folder items
- [Fix] Allow deselecting last collection by command+click
- [Fix] Style tweaks of files list (centered emoji; don’t fill folder icons; upload/download on side; adjust share info to be more like Finder’s)
- [Fix] Style tweaks for Mac (especially for Monterey; native alerts)
- [Fix] When drawing the colour of the colour picker, the colour on the map, and previously selected colours now stay in sync (#414)