Fixes and tweaks:
- Add “Acknowledgements” to about box on macOS
- Hide “collections” title in folders list if there are only collections
- Tweak appearance of circles in widget and mini maps
- Fix missing “<” on iPad after stage restoration of a collection
- Fix opening collection when tapping a home screen widget
- Fix appearance from GeoSubs not applied in widget or mini maps
- Fix where opening a collection from widget would treat it as a preview
- Fix wrongly-coloured snapshot set after switching apps
- Fix folder selection going out-of-sync when navigating into a subfolder
- Fix “Check for Updates” being greyed out when viewing collections on macOS
- Good ol’ performance improvements
- Re-added functionality to view multiple collections together on macOS
- Many tweaks and improvements to folder and collection management, such as adding subfolder to the main view, Drag & Drop support, and keyboard navigation.
- Mini map in widget and collection view can now include current location
- Add capture date to photo attachments, accessible through new
- Adds an (somewhat ugly) “Cancel” button to formula editor
- Re-importing now has new option to append content (rather than only replace it)
- Geo coordinate information in location details is now selectable
- When duplicating a document, remove publish.json and assign new ID
- Fix missing display mode button when popping back on iPad
- Fix issue where “Feed” inspector/tab might be missing for feed collections
- Browsing your collections shows them as pretty mini maps. They update automatically – including when they get their content from the Internet.
- Add these mini maps as widgets to your Home Screen on iOS or Notification Center on macOS.
- On macOS browsing your collections and the gallery now happens in a separate window then viewing a collection. This provides a much cleaner view while working on an individual collection.
- No more tabs on iOS.
- The functionality to view multiple collections together has been removed temporarily, and we plan to re-instate this in a future beta.
- You can now overwrite the titles for all locations via the “Organise” feature, too, not just adding a subtitle.
- The preview when creating a new collection from an API, server call, or by importing files now shows a map snapshot – you can still access the raw GeoJSON but it’s not the only thing anymore to preview
- Moving a collection to a different folder is now all handled within the context menu when right-clicking/long-tapping a collection
- Customise the stroke width of lines using the new
.stroke(Color, width: Number)formula
- Adds context action to clear fields of type date or time
- Adds a “ConvexHull” export option
- Adds a reimport feature for collections that were created from importing and optionally transforming a file, to replace the locations of a collection while keeping the import settings, fields and presets.
- Fixes issue where you can’t click on map entries anymore after renaming it
- Fixes issue where parts of the location titles were cut off when you resized the window or width of that panel
- Some polish for the “Presets” screen on iOS
- Various UI fixes for macOS Ventura
- Import more: You can now also import CSV, JSON, or XML where the locations are provided as a city names, country names, or country codes. Cities will be looked up in a GeoNames database, with support for fuzzy lookup, too.
- macOS: You can now directly go to the “New Collection” screen also when no window is currently open
- macOS: Double click the “Unsaved” preset to give it a name and save it
- macOS: Click the mini formula icons once to switch to that preset; then double click them to edit the underlying formula
- Clicking a collection that’s not yet downloaded will start the download, indicating the status in the list. Click again to cancel the download.
- As some imports can be slow, you can now cancel them.
- Fixed iCloud status of collections not loading if you have many collections, and made showing that status much faster
- Performance improvements, in particular for importing large files or when displaying thousands of polygons on the map
- Fix searching by coordinate in D/M/S format when seconds have single digits
- When using the experimental
control*formula, providing an ID and re-using that across multiple formulas, a single control is shown in the UI
- Fix “Take Photo” button sometimes not saving photos to the collection
- Formula editor: Don’t add closing pairs for brackets or quote marks while being in the middle of a formula
- Formula editor: Dismiss the editor by pressing command + Enter (on macOS)
- Fixed formula autocompletion sometimes inserting an extra period
- Improved some formula error messages
- Minor UI tweaks
- Our beginner’s user guide has been updated. Check it out. It’s now also searchable through the Map app’s help menu
- Super-charge your presets with the experimental interactive controls. Opt-in through settings, then use
controlRangein your formulas; play with the controls in the UI; and see live changes.
- If someone shares a published collection with you through the Messages app, it will appear automatically in a new “Shared with You” section in the Gallery (on iOS)
- Adds suggested sort formulas based on the fields of your collection
- Added “Copy” & “Paste” commands on locations in your collection
- Some experimental features have been disabled by default and need to be enabled through settings (in-app on Mac, via Settings app on iOS)
- Formulas that depend on your current location can no longer be used in computed fields; and can only be used in formulas on your presets.
- The “Move” command on locations in your collection has been removed
Many bug fixes:
- When you use the
photo/1formula to show photo thumbnails on the map, they will now also appear in the list view, too.
- Improved keyboard navigation for the formula editor
- Improved formula editor and auto-completion on macOS
- Fixed issue when using a
switchformula without a
- Fixed selecting ad-hoc preset not working on macOS
- Fixed duplicated fields not being saved on macOS
- Fixed insta-formulas not appearing until switching preset on iOS
- Fixed “Share” button after publishing a collection on iOS
- Performance improvements, in particular when working with large GeoJSON files
- Context actions to duplicate collections, fields and presets
- “Attachments” field can now deal with any file attachments rather than just photos
- Context menu on filters, grouping and appearance includes suggestions for appropriate fields
- Renamed “Style” to “Appearance”
- Style and UX adjustments for collection and location cards on iPhone
- Location details now have an (x) in the top right on iPhone, the back button in the top left will now always dismiss the viewed collection (!)
- Allow double clicking templates on macOS to select them
- Share Extension no longer tries to open GeoJSON or Maparoni files, so that Maparoni itself can open them instead
- Maparoni now just opens GeoJSON rather than trying to import it
- Adding a preset from the preset inspector now saves currently applied filter, grouping, etc. rather than clearing it
- Improved file format detection when importing external files
- Fixes for search and sharing on macOS when having multiple windows open
- Fix dropping pins on macOS
- Fix opening a GeoFeed that uses a “BoundingBox” transformation
- Don’t allow renaming a collection to an empty string
- Performance improvements and minor tweaks
- New built-in “Photos” field or create your own custom “Attachments” fields
- Add photos from your photo library, take a photo, pick from your files or add from a URL
- Use the new
photo(..)formula for your map style to show them on the map
- Drag and drop support for photos
- Parses GPS information from photos to place photos where they were taken
Maparoni for iOS now requires iOS 16, and gets:
- iPad uses card-style for collection for full-screen map support
- Desktop-class on iPad
- Title menu for collections, and locations on iPhone
- Editor-style toolbar, which now includes the “Organise” button
- Inline search bar
- Add “My Location” to iPhone’s add menu
- Consistent map selection behaviour for annotations, overlays and map features
- Removes support for dropping URLs and text on the map
- Removes pencil button on iOS from map, now in navigation bar (only)
- Auto-remove search result when deselecting search result
- Prettier “Follow” (formerly “Add”)
- Fixes publish info not always saved to file
- Minor style tweaks of location details
- Fixed some memory leaks
New features for iOS 16 and macOS 13:
- Added ability to select locations that are part of the map and not yet part of the collection, for quickly adding them.
- “Standard” map style now uses Apple Maps’ new style
- Simplified flow for sharing collections with collaboration options right in the share sheet
- Big style update to the New Collection Wizard on macOS, in particular for feed collections that get their data from URLs
- Added big “Follow” button to collections from the Gallery to inspector pane on macOS
- Fix New Collection Wizard not creating new collections. (This was due to left-over debugging code. Sorry.)
- Search on Mac now clears what you’ve typed when selecting a result
- Search on Mac now longer replaced what you’ve typed when hovering over a result
- Search on Mac no longer pops up again when switching collections
- Don’t briefly show welcome screen on iOS when re-opening app
- Fixed various issues on Mac where menu items and toolbar items were greyed when interacting with the inspector pane
- Fixed collection list not reflecting selection when searching for a location that’s already in the collection
- Fixed gallery collections not displaying on iPhone
- Fixed all known crashers
- Fixed some memory leaks
- Formulas: Allow calling
.fill/.stroke/.clusterdirectly on a geometry
- Formulas: Added
fixedCircle(..., center)variants that allow specifying a different center location rather than the one from the location.
- Views: When using a list for the styles and some of them evaluate to
nil, those are now ignored rather than being treated like an error.
nil-friendly, i.e., when using a JSON path that has a question mark in it.
geometryValuewill then return
nilrather than an error.
Position/2are all friendly to
nilvalues in the parameter list. If any parameter value is
nil, these will now return
nilrather than returning an error.
Polygon(...)can take a mix of positions and geometries
- Fixed auto-completion pop-over on Mac showing when moving cursor around. Now it’ll just show after typing non-whitespace or pressing Esc.
- Auto-completion pop-over now includes exact match, for quick access to documentation by pressing Escape
- Fix auto-completion in partial formulas that use a
- Fixes a crash when typing
function(value)()in the formula editor
- Fixes handling of viewing the formula of a preset and pressing “Done” without editing it
- Style tweak for the “empty state” view on iPhone
All new “New Collection” wizard:
- Unified flow for adding new collection, with import and feeds on equal footing
- Request importer auto-expands next section
- Bump minimum versions to iOS 15 and macOS 12
- Move Community to dedicated tab on iPhone with in-app browser
- Remove support for dragging URLs onto list of collections
- Address empty state on iPhone, showing a short “Welcome” message
- “Feed” collections now also get a “New Field” button on locations
- Improved state restoration on iPhone
- Various styling and UX tweaks
- Much improved syntax highlighting and editing for the formula editor, by adopting Runestone.
- Syntax highlighting is more robust, in particular when there are some errors or spreading formulas over multiple lines.
- Editing auto-inserts closing brackets or string quotes, and auto-indents
- Smoother state restoration on Mac and iPad
- Fix card not updating when adding a search result to the collection by pressing “Add” button, potentially resulting in duplicates
- Restore missing picker label on Mac
- Robustness fixes
- Fix very long CSV columns not fitting the pickers
- Allow referencing data fields that have a dot in them, e.g.,
value("some\.name")to reference the field with the key
- Fixes regression where you couldn’t add or edit fields anymore
- Fixes fields marked as “title” not being named for the title of locations in Geo Feeds
- Fixes issue where pasting an identical field would end up with duplicated keys; keys are now de-duplicated by adding a number, when pasting if there’s already an existing field with that key
- Search includes locations from within the collection
- Allow searching for Plus Codes
- Include “New…” option also during multi-location editing
- Show how many locations are selected during multi-selection
- Adjust state restoration to also restore whether file list and inspector was visible, and also the last used map position.
- Style tweaks for search results autocompletion on macOS
- Fix that ineligible search bar background colour on iPhone
- Fix collection staying visible after creating and deleting it
- Fix split-screen not working on iPad
- Fix GeoSub content disappearing on subsequent file change after initial load
- Fix paste action not being immediately enabled after copying a field (or preset)
- Handle failure when trying to open a collection that’s not downloaded while you’re offline
- Maintain sorting of fields, where keys use underscores or camelCase
- Show default fields in fields editor, so you can hide them
- Show default fields in location details even if they don’t have a value yet
- Importer robustness: More reliably detect GeoJSON content
- Fix exporting while viewing multiple collections
- Fix exporting multi-polygons and multi-linestrings as encoded polylines
- Fix crash when using very large radii for circles on the map
- Fix showing colours of non-editable colour fields in details
- Fix where changes to subscriptions showed an “not modifiable” errors when they should be modifiable
- Tweak formatting of non-editable numbers fields
- Indicate selection of routes and polygons on map
- macOS: Add status bar
- Move “Publish” inspector after “Presets”
- Always show “Website” widget, even if none set yet
- Various behavioural tweaks to managing presets, including allowing re-ordering, behaviour when deleting them, adding a “Make Default” context action
- iOS: Add “Export As” also to share sheet for locations
- Fix performance issues when viewing list of collections, being stuck at 100% CPU usage
- Improve performance of initial load of list of collections, particularly on iOS
- Fix issue where “Publish” inspector might mark a collection as not published even though it is
- Fix issue of routes not being saved correctly after removing some parts
- Hide emoji and colour pickers when location isn’t editable
- Robustness fixes for iCloud documents that are in a conflicted state
- iOS: Fix collection not re-opening after pressing back, then clicking the same one again
- iOS: More padding between emoji picker and colour picker to make the former easier to tap
- iOS: Save changes to title, emoji, notes and other text fields when pressing “Back” button before confirming by pressing “Done”
A round of fixes:
- Important fix for collection changes not saving reliably
- Fixed some edits on location card on iOS not saving when navigating back before pressing “Done” or “Enter”
- Deselect location from map after navigating back form location card on iOS
- Workaround for list not calculating location height correctly
- Minor style tweaks
- Share Extension improvements for iOS
- Accepts shared files, in particular GPX and GeoJSON files
- Also show nested collections, but exclude folders
- File management improvements by
- New context actions for adding new files/folders into a folder
- Fix dragging multiple collections into a folder
- Disable some Drag & Drop on Mac that were resulting in framework errors
- Maintain “Additional data” expansion also when toggling between locations
- Location editing fixes on iOS
- Resign first responder when pressing “Done”
- Make sure keyboard doesn’t cover the location card
- Use text area for editing plain text, too
- Add anonymised usage statistics, powered by TelemetryDeck
Major new feature: Publishing
With a single click, you can now publish your collections to the web on https://mapar.one. Anyone with the link can then browse your collection – or add them to their Maparoni app or download it as GeoJSON. Details will follow shortly in a blog post. Stay tuned!
- New GeoJSON-friendly
Style(Geometry)to get a style from a geometry (for colouring)
- Formula enhancements
Color(Any)to get a random colour from anything
value(String): Anyto understand path expressions
- Style tweaks for inspectors
- Tweak default zoom to be further out when selecting something in the list
- Fix crash when selecting an item that’s in multiple groups (happened when grouping by a multi-choice field)
- Fix crash when trying to use invalid GeoJSON transform (e.g., to Feature/FeatureCollection/GeometryCollection)
- Enable automatic daily updates by default (macOS only)
Multi-item selection and editing (macOS)
- Location details have been moved from a pop-up to an inspector
- Add multi-location selection and editing (so far for checkboxes, ratings, single-choice and multi-choice fields)
- Allow moving multiple items at once (macOS only)
- Add “BoundingBox” option when exporting GeoJSON
transform(String)formula to turn lines into polygons, polygons into bounding boxes, etc.
- Remove “Show Organise Inspector” right-click on locations
- Move Fields inspector into Info (i.e., Document) inspector
- Remove item sharing on macOS (as exporting works better)
- Fix crash when clicking internal link in User Guide
- Moving items to a different collection is now more robust
- Restore ability to right-click for a menu without first selecting (macOS)
- Don’t show default value for colour/time/date fields when not selected, but rather have an “Set” button.
- Don’t allow editing title/colour/emoji of search results
Export options (macOS only):
- Allow multi-item export (and deletion) by command-clicking
- Option to merge polygons
- Option to restructure GeoJSON
- Speed-up initial load
- Dismiss location pop-up when scrolling list
- Request/import editing: Disable fetch/parse buttons while in progress
- Pass on more “Undo” action names
- Various styling tweaks to the inspectors
- App updates can now be installed in-app, thanks to Sparkle
- Fix single choice looking like the first value is selected; add ‘None’ option, allow picking ‘None’, too.
- Fix re-ordering available values of a ‘Choice’ field on iOS
The focus of this build is on the behaviour of the formula editor:
- Much improved behaviour for when the suggestions should show up, i.e., just in beginning, when typing a dot, or pressing Esc; and not as much when navigating the cursor or selection around.
- Does not show an empty suggestions window, unless you press Esc to specifically bring it up.
- Maintain previous selection in suggestions window when typing.
- Provide partial completions for each possible case of a switch for textual values or formula results.
- Provide partial completions not just for prefix but any sequential match, i.e., after a
.case("Hello World")if there’s a location with the title “Hello World”.
- Minor style tweaks, shrinking it to fit number of suggestions and applying tint colour to the selected row’s background.
Squashes a bunch or related bugs related to formulas:
- Fix to the
find/2formula on long strings, which
- Fix partial completions broken when there’s a range string (e.g.,
- Fix comparison of Strings to sub-strings, e.g.,
title == "A"
- Fix highlight after a closing bracket, e.g.,
- Fix highlight of range expression within a case, e.g.,
- Fix highlight of defaults keys such as
And a few more related bug fixes for presets and fields:
- Changing the formula for one part of a preset should keep it selected
- Fix not being able to add a field for an “additional data” key
- Fix available schemas missing formulas on GeoSubs
- Fix undo/redo when changing saved presets
Various further improvements:
- Rename “New Subscription” to “New from URL”
- KML importer now guesses KML namespace from the XML content
- Addresses a memory leak from the location pop-up on macOS
- Style tweaks, in particular for the “New from URL” view
- [New] Can now apply multiple styles to each item, by returning a list, e.g.,
[fixedCircle(5km), pin("")]would show a circle and a pin for each location.
- [New] Experimental(!) “Index as…” option on collections to index them using a given id. This can then be used for efficient look-up from other collections using the new
lookup(coordinate, 'index-id')formula. Note: This does not yet persist across restarts and only works for polygons.
- [New] Exporting an item of a collection on Mac now brings up save dialog
- [New] “Subscribe to URL…” button when creating a collection (#419)
- [New] Templates can now include instructions, e.g., see the “Trips” template.
- [Change] Add current location from a callout on the circle on the map, removing the dedicated “+” > “Current Location” option
- [Change] Updated and simplified the look of the screen that pops up when moving a location to another collection (or using the
add-*URL schemes) (#411)
- [Change] In-line editing of location details (#409)
- [Change] Exporting collections/views on Mac now works same as exporting entries (i.e., you select output format in the file picker, and have an option to simplify, too.)
- [Change] Add to collection immediately when pin dropping on map
- [Change] Don’t show route count when drawing or in location details; instead show aggregate length and area
- [Change] Scripting collections (i.e., those that point at a non HTTP-URL) now get better help in the locations list if there’s no content yet.
- [Fix] Various fixes for map animations, in particular for collections that mix polygons with pins.
- [Fix] Fixes issue when dropping file on app icon (#410)
- [Fix] Fixes issue where location details might stay visible when swiping to delete the location while its pop-up is visible
- [Fix] Fixes an issue where local files might be missing in the hierarchy
- [Fix] Pop-ups prompting for a name, now include a clear button
- [Fix] Pressing ‘Done’ after having entered an invalid formula no longer deletes it.
- [Fix] Sort subfolders same as root (i.e., folders first)
- [Fix] Performance improvement by doing fewer reloads of folder items
- [Fix] Allow deselecting last collection by command+click
- [Fix] Style tweaks of files list (centered emoji; don’t fill folder icons; upload/download on side; adjust share info to be more like Finder’s)
- [Fix] Style tweaks for Mac (especially for Monterey; native alerts)
- [Fix] When drawing the colour of the colour picker, the colour on the map, and previously selected colours now stay in sync (#414)